It's the end of the year, so I thought I would wrap out with seven things that enthralled me during 2017*:
1. Bruk Out!/Silent Disco - I'm may be the last person to experience a silent disco party, they've been around for almost a decade, but my first experience was fantastic. Back behind a pizza parlor in West Adams, Los Angeles, we came to watch our friend's documentary, "Bruk Out!" about Dancehall Queens. Before the screening, they were hosting a silent Dancehall party, with everyone dancing about in the lot behind the pizza place. The overall noise was no more than a barbeque with a stereo playing, but people were having a blast. It was a fun shared experience.
2. Kindle Oasis - I was a die-hard book collector through my twenties, and there are a few books that I will never give up. But when my wife bought me a Kindle ... 7 years ago? ... I was converted almost instantly. Being able to carry a couple books at once (though I only usually read one at a time), was great, the form factor was perfect and it was durable as hell. The best part, was that it was a single use device that fit in my bag- very reminiscent of the life changing iPod. I couldn't use the internet, I couldn't make phone calls, I just read.
3. New Tea process - Not sure what got me on this, but I switched up my "morning hot liquid" regimen from a small pot of coffee everyday, to a cup (and a half) of coffee everyday, to two cups of loose leaf tea everyday. I think it was hearing Tim Ferriss's describe this blend of black, green, and turmeric/ginger tea that sounded like the right brew for me. The most important change, though, was the revelation that there are different types of caffeine (or there are different types of caffeine synthesis). Since switching over to the black tea, I've experienced a complete change in my body's energy- there is no "wake up" jolt, and there is no "afternoon crash." I just have consistent energy the whole day.
4. Would Works - This company started towards the end of the year and they are an excellent organization. They "hire" homeless/impoverished people in Los Angeles as "artisans" to do work for their company, giving them a financial goal to work towards AND a recent job reference, two things that are incredibly helpful to anyone that has gotten snagged by the demons of poverty and/or homelessness.
5. Sincerity - Sincerity is the new sarcasm. We need more sincerity these days, more honest good feeling being shared between humans.
6. Lamy Fountain Pens - I had a fountain pen a year or so ago. I like the idea of a good pen making nice calligraphic strokes. The LAMY fountain pen is the pen I should have started with years ago. It's got an excellent case design, a beautiful nib, the grip is ergo-fantastic, and the ink is bright and rich. My handwriting on the other hand.... needs some work this year.
7. IAAPA - I had heard of IAAPA for since the first year I was invovled in themed entertainment work, but never thought I would be able to attend. In 2017, with everything going on, my boss asked if I would like to attend and I said, Absolutely.
The International Attractions and Amusement Park Association Expo in Orlando is an extraordinary circus of lights, sounds, and smells. It is like 35 miles of
For whoever is out there reading, please put your health first in 2018, both physical and emotional. It's important to get your personal equipment in top shape before attempting to fix anyone else. Mindfulness could very well be the difference between complete success and tear-dripping failure.
Have a great new year!
* I likely have the same overall feelings as many of you about 2017, but I'm going to focus on the things that brought me joy, excitement, interest.